EBRD Literature Prize for Ukrainian books translated in English
This is an international award for books written in Ukrainian or one of the languages of minorities in Ukraine and published in English. The prize of EUR 20,000 will be divided between the author and the translator. This is one of the few literary awards that emphasizes the vital role of translator talent in expanding the audience of the work of literature.
The books must be translated in English for the first time and published between 15 November 2020 and 14 November 2021.
The prize is provided by the European bank for reconstruction and development, in cooperation with the British Council. This is one of the thousands of EU opportunities for Ukraine.
Learn more information
- have a valid ISBN and the price printed in the currency of a European country
- have published a book during the period between 15 November 2019 and 31 December 2020
The author must be (now or in the past) a citizen of Ukraine or other EBRD country of operations.
- A brief description of the book and plot summary
- Biographic details of the author and translator
- A brief statement as to why the book merits consideration
- The date of publication and contacts of the publisher
- Six copies of the book
Fill in the submission form and email it to Literatureprize@ebrd.com. The EBRD Literature Prize team will assess your eligibility and liaise with you quickly if needed.
Send six hard copies of each book to the EBRD Headquarters. The address of Headquarters: Olga Filippova, Office of the Secretary General EBRD, One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
- The author of the work must be living at the time it is submitted.
- Applying books must not be self-translated or self-published.
- Any individual publisher may not submit more than one book per EBRD country of operations but may submit a single book from more than one country of operations. As an example, a UK publisher may submit one book each from Slovenia, from Ukraine, and from Albania, but not two from Ukraine.
- The shortlist will be announced in March 2022, followed by the announcement of the three finalists in May 2022.
- The finalists will be invited to participate in an awards ceremony (either virtually or at EBRD Headquarters in London), as well as related events in the UK, after that date.