Creative Europe: circulation of European literary works
These are grants for publishers to translate fiction literature. You will get up to EUR 300,000 to introduce to Ukrainian readers selected works by European authors or to translate Ukrainian literature to promote it abroad. You can choose several books at one — from five to infinity. The grants will cover up to 60% for translation, publishing, distribution and promotion of books in paper, electronic or audio formats.
You have to translate all the books in three years. You can apply as a single entity or collaborate with publishing houses, book shops and literature festivals in Ukraine, EU and 12 other countries. European Commission recommends applying in teams with EU partners.
This is one of many Creative Europe opportunities for Ukrainians and one of the thousands of programmes that the EU can offer.
Learn more information
- If you plan to publish from 5 to 10 books you can get up to EUR 100,000
- If you plan to publish from 11 to 20 books you can get up to EUR 200,000
- If you plan to publish 21 books and more you can get up to EUR 300,000
- Are legal entities including PE
- Are registered in Ukraine, EU, Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Northern Macedonia, Serbia, or Tunisia
One main applicant has to be registered more than two years ago.
Completed application form that will tell about:
- Team: information about the organisations, CVs or biographies of translators, portfolio of the projects for the last four years. If you apply with partners — a letter of delegation
- Books that you plan to translate: relevance, target audiences, distribution strategy, sharing the responsibilities in the team and timeline
You can check the templates of application forms on the website.
2. Register your organisation and ask to register all the partners so everyone gets a PIC-number.
3. Find your contest on the Funding and Tenders Opportunity Portal, complete the online form and upload the required documents.
- You can translate Ukrainian books into English, German, French, Spanish (Castilian) and Italian.
- These are grants only for fiction literature. Autobiographies, biographies, essays without fictional elements, tourist guides, works in the field sciences are not eligible.
- Works must already be published.
- Works must be written by authors who are nationals of, residents in, or recognised as part of the literary heritage of Ukraine, EU, Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Northern Macedonia, Serbia, or Tunisia.
- Works must not be already translated into the target language, unless a new translation corresponds to a clearly assessed need.
- To find partners in the other countries try to check pan-European networks, offer cooperation to the organisations already supported by Creative Europe, apply to the programme national desk, or publish the announcement on the Funding and Tenders Opportunity Portal.
- You can check the list of previously supported projects on the website.