Translation grants for EU and UK publishers
For more than a year, Ukraine has been in the spotlight. This grant is your chance to uncover Ukrainian fiction and non-fiction books to your readers, catering for the evermore-rising interest in countries’ literature.
You will get up to EUR 5,000 to spend on translator's fees, editing, copyright, design, printing, marketing, and other things to make the book happen. You still need to invest some money in the project, but we will cover most expenses.
Study the application guidelines, and apply for a translation grant to add Ukrainian literature to the portfolio of your publishing house.
- Up to EUR 5,000 to cover the expenses on translation, editing, transfer of copyright, design, printing, and marketing of the book. The grant will help with up to 70% of the expenses.
- A chance to translate any Ukrainian book you find worthy: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, or comics.
- An opportunity to publish a Braille book to make sure people with low vision can still enjoy Ukrainian bestsellers.
- Participation in the alumni community and new acquaintances among publishers that already won the grant. Among them are Wytwórnia Magdalena Kłos-Podsiadło, Ergo, Fraktura, Septime Verlag, Latvijas Mediji and 39 more publishing houses from the EU and Ukraine.
We welcome publishing organisations from the EU and the UK, officially registered as legal entities.
- Supporting documents on the legal status of your organisation
- Copy of the signed contract with the translator
- Copy of the signed contract with the owner of rights or a letter of intent to sell the rights
- Budget plan, drafted in our budget form
- Marketing plan, drafted in our marketing plan form
- 10 pages of the original book
- CVs of all of the key participants involved in the project
Apply via our online platform.
Before applying, read the application guidelines to find out more about the timeline, money transfers, and selection criteria, and discover the hints that will help you win the grant.
- Ukrainian independent media on publishing Chytomo has collected all Ukrainian publishers and their copyright catalogues in one place. Check the special project if you have not decided on the book you wish to translate yet.
- Only translations from Ukrainian are eligible. We encourage you to involve two translators: a native speaker of the target language of translation and a Ukrainian native speaker.
- We cannot cover the costs of the book, completed at the time of application. However, you can still apply if you have already purchased the rights of the book. We will cover those expenses, as well as translation, editing, design, printing, and marketing.
- You can be funded several times through a translation grant. Feel free to apply if you have already finished reporting for your previous grants.