DAAD scholarships for postgraduate studies in Germany: fine art, design, visual communication, and film
This is an opportunity for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in the areas of fine art, design, visual communication, and film to continue their education at German university. You can enter the master’s or postgraduate programme, or take a complementary course not leading to a final qualification. The programme will provide a monthly stipend of EUR 861, the expenses on round-about tickets, insurance, and a one-off study allowance.
Master’s and postgraduate programmes can last between 10 and 24 months. Complementary course lasts one academic year. You will start to receive a scholarship from 1 October 2023, or earlier if a language course is taken prior to the study programme.
This is one of numerous DAAD opportunities and one of the thousands of the EU opportunities for Ukraine.
- A monthly scholarship of EUR 861
- One-off study allowance you can spend on books, tickets to conferences, etc
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
- An online or offline German language course
- Reimbursement of TestDaF or DSH examination fees if you take them after you got the scholarship
This scholarship supports excellently-qualified graduates who:
- Have completed a Bachelor degree in the field of performing arts
- Will be admitted to a German university for the desired course
- Know the language of instruction of the desired study programme and have a language certificate to prove it
- Completed application form
- CV in tabular form
- Letter of motivation — up to 3 pages
- Letter of admission to a study programme. This can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study programme begins if it is not available at the time of application
- A completed Information about your preferred master programmes form if you plan to receive a full master’s degree
- University degree certificate indicating final grades. This can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study programme begins if it is not available at the time of application. In such case please apply with a document indicating all annual examinations with individual grades
- Proof of knowledge of the language of instruction in the chosen study programme. If you are unable to submit a language certificate, upload a justification with a self-assessment of your current language level according to the CEFR
- Work samples. You will receive a link to the DAAD media database by 16 December 2022.
- A signed declaration that these works have been produced or created by you independently. Check requirements on the website
Note that all documents must be in PDF format. Please provide German or English translations for documents submitted in Ukrainian.
Apply via DAAD online portal.
If your application is successful, you will receive a link by 16 December. Upload your work samples to the DAAD media database till 10 January 2022.
- This programme only funds projects in the artistic field. Other DAAD scholarships are available for the field of art history and art studies.
- If you apply in the fields of drama and direction you should have a good to excellent knowledge of German. Basic knowledge of German and good knowledge of English are required for the other fields.
- You should apply to a German university yourself. Choose a state-funded or state-recognised university and keep an eye on a due date.
- This scholarship programme does not cover tuition fees. If you choose a master’s programme that has one, you will have to cover it yourself.
- You can get a scholarship for a programme that lasts between 10 and 24 months.
- You must complete your first degree at the latest by the time you commence your scholarship-supported study programme. At the earliest — six years before the application deadline.
- You may apply for the scholarship if you have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline.
- If you are already in the first year of a 2-year postgraduate or Master's degree programme in Germany, you can apply for a scholarship for the second year.
- In exceptional cases, you can also get a monthly rent subsidy or monthly allowance for accompanying members of a family.