DAAD scholarships for postgraduate studies in Germany: music
This is an opportunity for graduates with a bachelor’s degree in the areas of music, singing, composing, and conducting to continue their education at a German university. You can enter the master’s or postgraduate programme, or take a complementary course not leading to final qualification. The programme will provide a monthly stipend of EUR 861, the expenses on round-about tickets, insurance, and a one-off study allowance.
Master’s and postgraduate programmes can last between 10 and 24 months. The complementary course lasts one academic year. You will start to receive a scholarship from 1 October 2023, or earlier if a language course is taken prior to the study programme.
This is one of numerous DAAD opportunities and one of the thousands of the EU opportunities for Ukraine.
- A monthly scholarship of EUR 861
- One-off study allowance you can spend on books, tickets to conferences, etc
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
- An online or offline German language course
- Reimbursement of TestDaF or DSH examination fees if you take them after you got the scholarship
This scholarship supports excellently-qualified graduates who:
- Have completed a Bachelor degree in the field of music
- Will be admitted to a German university for the desired course
- Know the language of instruction of the desired study programme and have a language certificate to prove it
- Completed application form
- CV in tabular form
- Letter of motivation — up to 3 pages
- Letter of admission to a study programme. This can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study programme begins if it is not available at the time of application
- A completed Information about your preferred master programmes form if you plan to receive a full master’s degree
- University degree certificate indicating final grades. This can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study programme begins if it is not available at the time of application. In such case please apply with a document indicating all annual examinations with individual grades
- Proof of knowledge of the language of instruction in the chosen study programme. If you are unable to submit a language certificate, upload a justification with a self-assessment of your current language level according to the CEFR
- Audio and video files of your music performances, singing, conducting, and other samples of your works. Check requirements on the website
- Other documents that might be relevant: proof of placements, etc.
Note that all documents must be in PDF format. Please provide German or English translations for documents submitted in Ukrainian.
- This programme only funds projects in the artistic field. Other DAAD scholarships are available for the field of musicology or music education.
- You should apply to a German university yourself. Choose a state-funded or state-recognised university and keep an eye on a due date.
- This scholarship programme does not cover tuition fees. If you choose a master’s programme that has one, you will have to cover it yourself.
- You can get a scholarship for a programme that lasts between 10 and 24 months. The programme can be extended in some cases.
- You must complete your first degree at the latest by the time you commence your scholarship-supported study programme. At the earliest — six years before the application deadline.
- You may apply for the scholarship if you have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline.
- If you are already in the first year of a 2-year postgraduate or Master's degree programme in Germany, you can apply for a scholarship for the second year.
- In exceptional cases, you can also get a monthly rent subsidy or monthly allowance for accompanying members of a family.